- Termin: Friday, 14:30 – 18:00
- Ort: FAV 01 A
183.502 SE 2 SS: Scientific Presentation and Communication, Pflichtfach Masterstudium Computer Grafik und Digitale Bildverarbeitung
Motivation for the Course
Communication, both written and oral, is crucial in most graduate jobs, whether in the commercial or the scientific sector. The successful presentation of one´s own work depends on well-developed communication skills. In the more specific context of international scientific conferences, many more papers and presentations would be accepted if the manner in which they were presented were improved.
Aims and Objectives
The aim of this course is to improve students’ performance in developing and organizing ideas and in preparing effective documents and talks. The focus is specifically on scientific communication, which refers to the presentation of scientific results and hypotheses in the primary scientific literature, in other kinds of review and popular literature, and as talks at conferences.
The purpose of this course is to help students to communicate ideas better and to learn the skills of scientific communication. The main aims are:
- to improve communication skills
- to concentrate on scientific communication, both written and oral
- to learn about how scientific communication is performed at workshops, conferences, and in journals.
Further goals include training graduate and PhD students how to
- access information about different topics, such as research results, conferences, etc., in paper-based publications and on the WWW
- to write cv’s, abstracts, extended abstracts, and articles for acceptance at international conferences and publications (both with regard to language and contents)
- to review and assess submissions to scientific conferences.
Topics include discussion and review of different kinds of publications such as theses, articles, survey articles, books, abstracts, etc. Writing exercises (dealing with content as well as language) will include the students own cv’s, abstracts, extended abstracts, and papers. Caution! Good Command of English is necessary, course is very demanding and therefore time consuming!
- Registration: Please register at TISS online for this course.
- Lessons: The lessons are organized as blocks in the beginning, middle and at the end of the semester (see schedule), 1st lecture: Fri, 15.3.19 14.30 – 18.00 c.t., FAV 01 A, Favoritenstr. 9, 1st staircase, 4th floor