Dr. Kampel received the B.Sc. in Data Technologies and Computer Science, the M.Sc. degree (Diplomingenieur) in Computer Science (Computer Graphics, Pattern Recognition & Image Processing) in 1999, the Ph.D. degree in Computer Science in 2003, and the “venia docendi” (Habilitation) in Applied Computer Science in 2009, all from the Vienna University of Technology.
Today, he is senior scientist (Privatdozent) at the Computer Vision at the Institute for Computer Aided Automation, Vienna University of Technology engaged in research, project coordination, industry consulting, and teaching.
His research interests are Machine Vision and Learning applied to Ambient Assisted Living (AAL), Cultural Heritage Applications, Visual Surveillance, and Robotics. He founded CogVis GmbH to successfully bring research results to market and to provide creative ideas and technology for product development.
He edited 3 proceedings and is author or co-author of more than 100 scientific publications presented at several international conferences and workshops.
He served in many program committees for international conferences and as member of the editorial board and referee for international journals and conferences, is member of the Austrian Association for Pattern Recognition (AAPR/ÖGM), the Austrian branch of IAPR and the IEEE . He is a legally sworn and certified expert witness for computer vision (allgemein beeideter und gerichtlich zertifizierter Sachverständiger) and a chartered engineering consultant for computer science.
Research and Projects
I am interested in computer vision and technology transfer. (Currently) my main field of interest is Active Assisted Living (AAL), image based behavioral analysis and IoT.
Image Sequence Analysis: Sensors, Motion Detection and Tracking, Multimodality, Scene Understanding
3D-Vision: 3D Acquisition, 3D Reconstruction, Robot Vision
Computer Vision for Cultural Heritage Applications
Ambient Assisted Living
- DIANA, EU/FFG AAL Joint Programme 2019
- MaLeSTV, KIRAS, FFG 2019
- Edge Video Analyse, Contract research 2019
- WC-Buddy, FFG BENEFIT 2019
- EnterTrain, EU/FFG AAL Joint Programme
- MIC-Cam, Wirtschaftsagentur Wien
- FlowCLUSTER, ZIT Vienna
- AutoFLOW, EU FP7 Marie Curie IAPP
- Smart.Pic, FFG Innovationsscheck
- LoopBio, FFG Innovationsscheck
- wellbeing, EU/FFG AAL Joint Programme
- RECLAIM, EU FP7 NMP
- Infos@ourHouse, ZIT Vienna
- The Profiler, BMWFW Sparkling Science
- Fieldvibes, ZIT Vienna
- ILAC, FWF
- CAPRI, FFG FIT-IT
- SCIBA, FFG FIT-IT
- fearless, AAL Joint Programme
- SPY, EU ITEA2
- RHEA, EU FP7 NMP
- BankVis, ZIT Vienna
- MINISPOT, FFG Kiras
- tripleB ID, FFG Kiras
- MUBISA, FFG AAL
- IobserveNG: Scalable Video Surveillance, FFG KIRAS
- COINS: Preventing Illicit Coin Trade through Unsupervised Retrieval E-services, EU FP6
- BES: Image based Event Recognition in Security Relevant Areas, Industrial Cooperation
- EPOCH: European Research Network on Integrating Technologies for Intelligent Recording, Reconstruction and Communication of Cultural Heritage, EU Network of Excellence IST
- CABS: Computer Aided Bank Surveillance, Industrial Cooperation
- AVITRACK: Aircraft surroundings, categorised Vehicles & Individuals Tracking for apRon’s Activity model interpretation & ChecK, EU Specific Targeted Research Project (STREP) FP6
- 3D MURALE: 3 Dimensional Measurement and Virtual Reconstruction of Ancient Lost Worlds in Europe, EU FP5
- Computer Aided Classification of Ceramics, FWF
- Colour Calibration of CCD cameras, Ellips, CEEPUS exchange program
- Computer & Archaeology: 3D-Acquisition of Archaeological Funds, PRIP Application of 3D Vision, project in cooperation with the Institute for Classical Archeology, University of Vienna, FWF